Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Beauty icon: Marilyn Monroe





'Beneath the makeup and behind the smile I am just a girl who wishes for the world.'


I love this photo of Marilyn Monroe, taken before she became known for her iconic platinum curls and red lips. She looks so young and unaffected and her natural beauty is breathtaking.

I find it sad that celebrities seem to be smoothed and refined and shaped into variations of someone else's vision of the 'perfect woman'. Of course, Marilyn (or Norma) had gorgeous genes to begin with, but I can't help wishing we saw more of her 'beneath the makeup'.

Once a week, I will post a photo of a woman I believe shows beauty beyond what we have come to accept as normal. I want to celebrate those brave souls who stand strong against the tide and embrace their uniqueness.

Who would you like to see on Beaunz, lovely readers?

x

1 comment:

Laura Molloy said...

I don't know if this person is suitable for the pages of Beaunz, as she is not a model, but I have always admired Emma Thompson. I think she is classically beautiful and has aged gracefully without having had any botox or plastic surgery. My husband has always told me that I am never to get botox or have any surgery (other than a boob lift, after having kids) to change my face or stop the aging process, as it will change ME. He wants me to grow old gracefully just like Emma, and I agree.