Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Every (big) kid's room needs a toadstool

Toadstool Lamp from Nature Baby

Overnight, very
Whitely, discreetly,
Very quietly
Our toes, our noses
Take hold on the loam,
Acquire the air.
We shall by morning
Inherit the earth.
Our foot's in the door.

Sylvia Plath


I have a confession to make. Until I started writing this post, I thought toadstools, like the fairies that sit on them, were a thing of fairytales. Who knew they actually exist and are a type of mushroom? I feel like someone just told me that smurfs are a species native to outer Mongolia. No? Darn.


Shiny, red and spotty in an almost comical way, toadstools lend an air of folklore to their surroundings. I have been looking for a toadstool cushion for my daughter's room, but this lamp from Nature Baby is infinitely cuter.  It emits a soft, cosy light that is perfect for when you need to be able to see what you're doing but don't want to wake your baby.


And let's be honest, even if I didn't have a child I would find a place for this sweet little lamp in my home. We could all use a little more fairytale.


x

No comments: