Saturday, October 22, 2011

The cocktail you won't put down until March


Buying a bottle of Spumante is not without its conflicts. On one hand, I know the delights in store when fancied up with my cocktail recipe. On the other, raised eyebrows (and ID request!) from the patronising checkout operator takes me back to my university days when it was all I could afford, and to be honest, all I could stomach.

I was first introduced to the delights of Spumante in Italy, sitting in the sun, feet throbbing after a day pounding the cobblestones. In London, we gulped this delicious cocktail on hot days when the sun stretched until 10pm, lime and mint were mere pence and Spumante cost no more than a bottle of coke. Last night, I pressed the icy cold glass against my newly sun-bitten cheeks in between sips and reveled in the promise of summer. 

The recipe is simple. A glass of Spumante, a few slices of lime smashed and left to infuse (the wine-pickled pulp is the best bit), fresh mint leaves and a handful of ice. I channel Nigella and run a slice of lime around the glass rim then dip it in raw sugar, and it gives a heavenly crunch.

On a hot, sunshiney evening there is nothing I would rather drink. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

x





No comments: