Thursday, January 26, 2012

Old Man Lamp


This little man peers at me and my daughter each morning as I nurse my coffee and she eats her breakfast.

I've known him my whole life; he was previously a fixture at my grandparents house and kept me company on many a sleepover.

When they died and their belongings were offered out to my extraordinarily large family, for some reason he was one of the last remaining items that hadn't been claimed and was stacked by the door for delivery to the local Salvation Army. I'm sentimental at the best of times, and couldn't bear the thought of him leaving our family so he rode home with me in the front seat, catching more than a few tears.

I don't know where he came from, who he is or what he means, but he keeps my grandparents close and for that I'll treasure him forever.

x

No comments: