Monday, January 16, 2012

Cinemust : Hanna


When I watch films, I love to be wowed either with a beautiful character story or gorgeous, stylish direction (or sometimes both), and I especially love it when films make the most of the possibilities of the medium of, well, film. Why not have fun with a few special effects and slick cinematography?


Over the weekend I finally got to see Hanna, a film I have had my eye on for months, and absolutely loved it. A great soundtrack, beautiful scenery, cool editing and a riveting storyline all came together brilliantly. 


Saoirse Ronan plays the title character, Hanna, a 16 year girl who has lived, until now, in isolation in the forest with her father (played by Erica Bana). Without giving too much away, events bring her out into the real world to face her nemesis.


Saoirse's face is so unique, I found it impossible to look away each time she was on screen. She even manages to outshine the (weirdly grotesque-looking thanks to some strange camera angles) queen of the intelligent blockbuster Cate Blanchett.


It's not perfect, and I'm sure it was probably panned by the usual armchair critics, but it's the most film fun I've had in ages. Have you seen Hanna, Beaunz belles? What did you think?


x

No comments: