Friday, February 24, 2012

For the Aroha of : rhubarb




I’m putting a line in the sand. My mum makes the best rhubarb crumble in.the.world. Buttery, salty sweet, light-as-air crumble over jaw-seizing poached rhubarb just begging for a scoop of full-fat vanilla ice cream. Good lord, there is no such thing as a diet when that sweet smell fills her house. All I can think of is how to sneak a spoonful from the edge and smooth it over so no one will notice…

Anyway, did you know that rhubarb is actually a vegetable? So it counts towards your five a day. Really. Unless, of course, its juice is extracted and turned into cordial by the lovely people at Aroha…which is then added (by me) to ice, fresh mint leaves, vodka and a splash of soda.

Aroha make other delicious cordials including Gooseberry, Elderflower, and Ginger & Honey, all of which are free from added sweeteners, artificial flavours, colours or preservatives. I discovered them at the la Cigale markets in Parnell, but a quick look at the Aroha website shows that they are stocked all over the country. They also do a sparkling range, and I can’t wait to try the Feijoa & Elderflower one…my mouth waters just typing the name.

In the meantime, Mum, if you’re reading this…the rhubarb season is nearly over…hint hint…

x