Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Bare Beaunz : Charlotte




Charlotte wearing Juliette Hogan AW2012


Charlotte Ryan's sweet, girl-next-door voice takes me from breakfast to lunch every weekday morning on bfm's Morning Glory

She's my cool barometer; edgy without being scary, funny without trying, and in person she has an easy, off-beat sense of style that you can't copy, dang it. I love that her playlists range from one musical extreme to another, so you're guaranteed to hear something new on her show. Her potty-mouthed 'fancy new bands' intro never fails to make me laugh, somehow even the f-bomb sounds civilised coming out of her mouth! 

I was so excited to interview Charlotte for Bare Beaunz, and she even shouted me a Kokako smoothie while we chatted. Over to you Charlotte...








I just bought...
Last weekend it was International Record Store Day, so to get behind it I bought two new pieces of vinyl. I got Toy Love: Live at the Glue Pot, and The Modern Lovers. I try to buy all my favourites on vinyl, as I love listening to them that way.

I'm about to buy...
Literally, after this I'm going to the vege shop to buy Asian greens. I’m really into cooking, and I’m making a Malaysian dish from Nadia Lim's new cookbook for dinner tonight.

I wish I could buy...
A holiday to Europe with my family and friends. We'd all go to Greece and the Amalfi Coast, that would be awesome.

When I was a kid I wanted to be...
A singer or a teacher. I’ve sung for years in choirs and things, but I'm a very shy performer, which is a problem. I actually started out training to be a teacher, but I realised two years in that it wasn't what I wanted to do. So, now I educate people about singers and musicians instead.

I never leave the house without...
My iPhone, a bottle of water, and my favourite red lipstick of the moment, Topshop ‘Rio’.

If it wasn't so naughty I would...
Eat at restaurants every day. I love Coco Cantina, The Engine Room, Mexico and pretty much anywhere Japanese.

At home I am usually...
Listening to music or the radio. Playing Strawberry Shortcakes or having pretend tea parties and picnics with my 4 year old daughter. Working - I do most of my freelance work at home, and cooking / gardening - I love cooking a meal or pottering in the garden to wind down after a busy day.

My fashion sense at school was...
Always in line with my music obsession at the time. In my early teens, I loved hip hop so I was really into baggy hip hop pants. Then I moved into liking skateboarding, and went  through a grunge phase - I was obsessed with Kurt Cobain.

If I had one magic power it would be....
To grant wishes. 

The last time I (really) laughed was…
Last weekend, at a friend’s dinner party. There were eight of us old friends, and it was brilliant - so much great laughter...and wine.

My secret pleasure is...
Op shopping and finding the untouched gems. I love driving to The North Shore and having all the time in the world to fossick through drawers and boxes in second hand stores.

I'm happiest when... 
I’m listening to an amazing album and cuddling my little daughter. I have been listening to the new Opossum and Lawrence of Arabia albums over the last week - they are awesome. 

If I died tomorrow I would be remembered for...
Saying ‘Totally’, 'Awesome' and ‘Yay’.

x


No comments: