Monday, May 7, 2012

Beaunz is like a box of chocolates...



I know it's a little odd; posting a recipe when I'm hardly a culinary cognosenti, but Beaunz is about the good things in life, and this dish fills my mouth with joy each time I make it. Bursting with flavour, filling, warming and best of all it cooks, unwatched, in a single pot. Once you know the basic recipe you can play around with the proteins and veges to keep things interesting, but I have posted my favourite version, which is loosely based on one I tore out of a magazine years ago. If you're time poor and hungry or just plain uninspired, this dish is your friend.


Ingredients (Serves 2)
Tbsp chopped fresh ginger
3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1 chili, chopped (red looks prettier but any fresh chili is fine)
Bunch of coriander (Chop the stalks finely and keep separate from the leaves)
3 rashers bacon, chopped (I use chicken bacon)
1 chicken breast, cut into slender chunks (or you can use raw prawns - just add them halfway through cooking)
1 spring onion, finely sliced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
Tbsp oil
1 cup Jasmine rice
2 cups boiling water
1 lime (don't substitute for lemon, just leave it out if you can't get a fresh lime)


Method
Put oil, ginger, garlic, chili and coriander stalks in a cold pan and heat until sizzling. Add bacon and fry. Mmmmmm...warning: burns tongue.
Add rice and cook until nicely coated and semi-transparent. Turn down the heat to medium, add the soy sauce and sugar and mix well.
Add the chicken and toss, then immediately follow with 2 cups of boiling water. Stir to combine, then cover with lid and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. You don't need to stir or anything half way, this is usually when I bath my daughter.
Once cooked, stir through the spring onions and half the chopped coriander leaves.
Serve into bowls and top with a squeeze of lime juice and the rest of the coriander.


Enjoy!


x

No comments: