Thursday, June 7, 2012

Another reason for makin' whoopie


About 3 years ago I heard about the whoopie pie and attempted to bake my own, with disastrous results. No amount of buttercream could salvage those dense little frisbees, and they actually decomposed out in the garden, shunned by the sparrows.


After trying the real deal from Whoopie in Grey Lynn, I know where I went wrong. Their tagline is 'Where cookie meets cake' but I'll raise that to 'Where cake meets cake'. A whoopie is basically two cupcakes sandwiched together, and probably concocted by some clever woman suffering from PMT who wanted more than one cupcake for her morning tea. Squash two together, call it something different (I'm not buying the Amish men 'whoopie-ing' when they opened their lunchboxes story) and hey presto, you're back to a single serving. Genius!


Anyway, the flavour combinations are gorgeous, I went with a  Vanilla Bean & Mixed Berry (delish) and a Banana & Walnut (so-so but apparently a best-seller), and made a note to try the Gingerspice next time. You can even order a dozen personalised whoopie pies as a gift, they come in a cute presentation box and at $2.50 each they are slightly smaller than the standard $5 size.


Do we need anymore reasons for makin' whoopie? No thanks Mr. Cantor.


x

No comments: